top of page

Picciano Yesterday


The first traces of Picciano can be found in 1049 in the Charta Offersionis with which Bernardo, Count of Penne, donated land and buildings for the establishment of a Benedictine abbey in its territory. This 1049 is the first attestation of the existence of an inhabited center called Picciano ', terminus ante quem with respect to which the town can therefore be considered founded.
There are several legends on the name Picciano, the most credible traces the name to the presence of a group of shepherds dedicated to the cult of the Goddess Pithia, the name therefore dates back if not to the Roman era to the first period of the Latin Middle Ages with a variant passing through Piczano as attested by the Carta Conveniae which will be cited below.

In 1049, therefore, the late medieval period characterized by notable contrasts between the Lombards and the Normans also in the vestina area and the center of these clashes will be the Abbey of Santa Maria from which the history of Picciano will be inextricably linked.
In an era of rural lords, power also passed through these private churches and among them the various lords competed for offers at the monastery of S. Clemente a Casauria, it was only Bernardo who between 1051 and 1063, as per the Charta Offersionis del notary Azzone, will donate more than twenty churches to the same Monastery of Picciano which he created and led at that time by the abbot Teodemario. Mills on the river Fino, churches, bells, fiefdoms with men, women and children in tow will be donated. The donation went through the creation of the Church of San Silvestro, which was endowed with all the aforementioned goods, and which was then donated to Picciano as a whole. Curiously, the abbot of San Silvestro was ordered to donate, on the day of the Assumption (August 15), 24 pizzas and a pig to the abbot of Picciano. It should be noted that even today the feast of the Assumption is celebrated in Piccianello, a hamlet of considerable size, even if the church is dedicated to Picciano.

Returning to the story of donations, intricate facts will bind Guglielmo Tascione (or di Tassone), Alberico, Abbot of Santa Maria di Picciano, and Benedict Abbot of San Giovanni in Venere. In 1084 there will be an exchange of churches: in S. Giovanni in Venere castles and churches in the territory of Ilice, the current Elice, in Picciano the Church of S. Panfilo a Spoltore, with an interpenetration of possessions on the verge of abstraction. There will be other exchanges in which Count Ruggieri, Roberto di Manoppello, the Theatine Bishop Berardo, Eriberto Bishop of Penne and the prior of the Maiella will attend as guarantors. However, these are unfavorable changes for Picciano, generated mostly by spiritual reasons and which will be canceled a few years later.

The carta convenientiae attests to Alberico's protests, confirming at the same time the status of the Church of convenience of S. Maria di Picciano which the various Longobard and Norman lords use for their private struggles. It remains however that in 1110 Alberico, despite the protests, will be elected Abbot of S. Clemente a Casauria where he will finally be able to influence in a more incisive way on the various lords of the place.

In 1122 other exchanges: Ruggero Tascione donated two fiefdoms of the monastery of S. Paterniano to S. Maria di Picciano, however turning the income of S. Panfilo di Spoltore to S. Clemente.

There will be many exchanges, many exchanges over time of different size and weight: 1139, 1144, 1145, all generally concerning the new role of bishops, and that of Penne in particular, and the question of tithes. In that of 1144 in particular Berardo, Abbot of Picciano in those years, temporarily gave to his brother Rainaldo two fiefs with the relative colonists with the obligation of visits and oblations on fixed days, and a lunch based on bread, meat and wine to offer to the monks the day of S. Egidio.
Subsequently the abbots and monks of Picciano will clash vigorously with the Bishops Oderisio and Grimaldo, pugnacious bishops accustomed to long struggles and defenders of papal power who, however, will have to yield to Norman power which will also be felt with the presence of King Roger II who, by the hand of the executioner Oderisio di Paleria, he confirmed, in 1170, the donations and privileges that Gozzolino di Loreto had granted to the monastery of Picciano.

Donations of churches and territories also meant an exchange of men, of fiefdoms, of entire families and social groups who thus find themselves having to work and live now for one, now for the other. People will be victims of a rhapsodic lust for power that over time will mark the character of places and inhabitants.
The events of the Abbey will be alternate up to the privilege with which Charles V in 1517 will practically mark its passage under the Olivetans of L'Aquila.
There are no significant manifestations of the periods between the sixteenth and late eighteenth centuries, a sign of the gradual loss of importance that the place slowly underwent, however closing its inhabitants in a fierce and strenuous defense of their values of independence and cultural identity.

With the transfer of the abbey to L'Aquila and the subsequent fire that totally destroyed it, the presence of Picciano in the Vestino area diminishes until it fades. The Badiali princes, however, remain to the point that until 1945 peasants and breeders were required to pay an annual sum to the Parish, the Badia in fact, as a contribution for the use of the land; it was the so-called level, a form of emphyteusis of which many lands are still burdened, dating back to the medieval period in which the Badia di Picciano obtained houses and land from the Counts of Penne.

Over time, therefore, the history of Picciano has been changing. Its importance has shrunk and agriculture has essentially remained a livelihood agriculture for a long part of its history. The exploitation of its territory by barons and landowners is testified by the large number of farms and sharecroppers present on the municipal territory. A decisive turning point took place at the end of the nineteenth century. The birth of a fertile artisan tradition makes Picciano the country of tailors and shoemakers with dozens of active, fixed and itinerant shops, a large number of employees and a presence so strong as to relaunch the urbanization of the area. The economic movement generated by that favorable situation leads to the foundation of a furnace that for years will be a resource for all the inhabitants of Picciano, attracting inhabitants from the surrounding area, creating employment and sawing with a certain dawn of the industrial era in the whole area. Vestina. Throughout the twentieth century the history of the Patricelli furnace is the history of Picciano. In times of crisis it will be a crisis for the country, in good times it will be employment for everyone. The activity of the furnace will also change the physical face of Picciano, demolishing hills and creating building areas and at the same time supplying construction materials to the 8-10 construction companies present in the area even simultaneously. After the Second World War it will be the only barrier to emigration, it will be a source of cultural and social updating and its closure, at the beginning of the eighties, will determine the beginning of the demographic and economic decline which in these years reaches its maximum.

Picciano today
July 2021 work began at the Picciano sports field where the construction of a soccer field and changing rooms is planned.
  Piccianello just finished the 5-a-side football field in synthetic grass


Parish Church of Santa Maria del Soccorso

Facade of the church of S. Maria del Soccorso

Built in the early nineteenth century, the parish church of Picciano has a longitudinal plan with a facade recalling the Venetian church of the Redentore by Andrea Palladio, but also in some places the Church of the Gesù in Rome. Built in bricks, it has a bell tower left halfway through its development, which refers to the whole tradition of Romanesque-Norman ancestry which has its greatest examples in the bell towers of the  Cathedral of San Giustino  in Chieti and the  Basilica of the Assumption  in Atri, and which have had a wide echo in the Vestina area. Similar to that of Picciano even if complete, they can be found in  PensCity of Sant'AngeloCollecorvino  And  Loreto Aprutino.


Church of San Rocco di Piccianello

The church of Piccianello, coeval, has a single nave and dedicated to S. Rocco, also in exposed brick, had an interior with a counter-reformation Jesuit conception unfortunately destroyed in the sixties. Interesting is the facade, also in brick, inspired by the parthenon of Athens stylized in four pilasters that streamline the small structure.

The brick, as well as the churches, is a characterizing element of the whole center of Picciano and the nearby hamlet of Piccianello, an evident sign of a strong cultural brand devoted to practicality but also to modularity and a taste for beauty.

of the same


Facade of the church of San Rocco, Piccianello



Picciano was a hotbed of artists linked to the field of band music. The Picciano band and, for a rather long period in the mid-twentieth century, the Piccianello band, represented an artistic reference point of considerable interest. To remember in this regard the maestro Vermondo Carusi who was one of the major architects of this musical flowering and beyond.

This musical tradition continues today through the Amateur Band Association "Città di Picciano", made up of both veterans of Abruzzo band music and young elements and awarded in 2011 the title of "National Interest Group" by the National Table for Popular Music ( initiative promoted by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities of the Italian Republic in honor of the 150th anniversary of the Unification of Italy) together with the town's folk choir [5] .

The Folkloristic Choir of Picciano keeps active the dissemination of the Abruzzo dialect through songs, dialectal theater and performances at the annual Europeade del folklore, boasting many participations.

The  Museum of peasant traditions and arts , MUTAC, ethnographic museum, takes on the task of showing and remembering the life of the Picianese communities of past centuries.

Peasant Art Museum of Picciano

It covers an area of 6,700 m² of which about 4,000 are covered and has a multifunctional auditorium of 1,000 m² for the realization of exhibitions, events and shows. The museum is on two levels: the old part and the new one. The first exhibits reconstructed rooms dedicated to oil , al  wheat , spinning and weaving, craft shops and environments of everyday life, while the second (917 m²), under construction, is intended to contain sets complementary to the existing museum area, an area dedicated to a series of  wagons  and a gallery  photographic .

Work in progress:

Due to the hydrogeological instability affecting the municipality of Picciano and in particular the area of the Museum, we are awaiting the completion of the works for the restoration of the exhibition halls closed due to a series of floods. The current situation and the lack of funds do not allow us to predict the completion times of the works and therefore the Museum will remain closed until a date to be decided.

museo contadino.jpg
museo contadino 3.jpg
museo contadino 2.jpg
Loreto Aputrino oil museum
Inaugurated in 2005 with the aim of reviving an ancient oil mill from 1880, this unique building was built by Raffaele Baldini Palladini, landowner and oil producer, thanks to the skill of his painter friend Francesco Paolo Michetti, who carried out the project in neo-Gothic style. It represents a “unicum” in Abruzzo and is a valuable example of culture applied to a productive activity. Today the building houses the Oil Museum, an excellent culture typical of the surrounding hills.
museo olio loreto 3.jpg
loreto museo olio 2.jpg
loreto museo 1.jpg
Great  stone 
Campo Imperatore
Torre del Cerrano
Pescara sea bridge
Gran Sasso
gran sasso.jpg
Tower of Cerrano
torre del cerrano.jpg
Campo Imperatore
campo imperatore.jpg
Bridge Of The Sea 
ponte del mare.jpg
bottom of page